Tuesday, December 7, 2010

An Irish Blessing

I don’t know why, but this year, despite my best intentions and my beautifully organized, updated-as-of-yesterday Christmas spreadsheet, I’m frazzled. I’ve got so many gifts and to do’s and not-necessarily-have-to-do’s-but-want-to-do’s in my head that I feel like any moment now, something could short-circuit. And it’s the Christmas cards that are pushing me right over the edge.

These should not have been an issue. I ordered them in September (and was pretty smug about it) and had every intention of prepping them so that on the day after Thanksgiving, I could hold my head up high and proudly walk into the post office to send them on their way. Best laid plans…that didn’t happen.

So I’ve decided that 2010 will be the year of my cutting down on the card list. It just has to be done. I’m quite sure that no one’s self-esteem will crumble if they don’t receive The Boy’s picture in the mail, nor will their world fall apart if they don’t peer at my “xo Michelle” sign-off. Instead, I’m taking a moment now to send these beautiful words out to all those who touch my life. If you don’t get my card in the mail, please don’t take it personally. I love you. I think you’re fabulous. I just don’t have the organization or sense of calm needed right now to be as productive as I should be. Instead, I send these well wishes for your Christmas or holiday season, in the form of an Irish Blessing, which I found today in “The Catholic Home” by Meredith Gould:

Italy Trip 562

“The light of the Christmas star to you

The warmth of home and hearth to you

The cheer and goodwill of friends to you

The hope of a childlike heart to you

The joy of a thousand angels to you

The love of the Son and

God’s peace to you.”

 

How are you making your holiday season less stressful this year? Share your secret, and let’s all enjoy letting ourselves off the hook!

1 comment:

  1. we've never done cards. We used to have great big get-togethers, but our family is opting to have a quiet holiday this year....too much hassle just creates unwanted stress. Also, Facebook is the new way to keep in touch. nobody calls anymore :/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...